I get asked this question by all kinds of people, mostly by those who have not yet had a chance to use HolidayIQ.com. Obviously I tell them many wonderful things about the hotel reviews we get on the site and the travel photos and videos and…
Here is excellent thread I found on the HolidayIQ forum which I guess answers this question better than any guff I might dish out 🙂
by Kripa Shankar Mani on Thu May 06, 2010 9:13 am
We are planning to start our Journey from Jammu Tawi on 14th June and from there we would head to Srinager by road.
As this is the 1st time we are going to kashmir we would like to visit all the major places of interest there.
Initially I thougth to go to srinagar by my own self driven car but it seems that the journey would be too long and that we would also waste 2 days one reaching to Jammu and One Coming Back From Jammu.
Do not wish to Catch flight directly to Srinager as we would miss the scenic beauty of the area.
Please help me in finalising my plans :
1. Days in Hand between 8 to 12
2. Budget No as such Budget allocated as yet
3. Hotel Preference : No Hi Fi Hotel, Just nice Bed and Breakfast Type.
4. Travelling – by car which should be on our disposal throught from pick up to dropping at Jammu Railway Station.
Would also like to have an idea from fellow imer’s that what should be my Travel Schedule so that the trip could be a memorable one.
Some further questions are :
1. What budget should I consider for the Trip.
2. Are plenty of Taxis available, is there a relaible type of a car rental provider in Jammu or Srinager who can be contacted. what would be the approximate cost of hiring a Taxi for a day.
3. What should be our Travel plans for Road Trip from Jammu to Srinager, where to stop, where to eat and which Hotel to Stay.
4. Which all destination should we go. and which area are safe in Srinagar.
5. Can someone provide the telephone number of some good hotel in Patni top, Srinager, Jammu, Pahagaon, Gulmarg, Boat House, Driver/ Taxi wala, and ofcourse a guide, to get best of the rip.
Any Suggestions/ Amendment and advice would be greatly appreciated.
K.S. Mani Tripathi
- Kripa Shankar Mani
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:00 am
by vasudevan on Thu May 06, 2010 10:37 am
1)budget i wud put aside rs 1500/- per day for food, rs 5000/-for two rooms per night,
2)taxis r plenty available ,it wud be best to hire a SUV from jammu itself for the entire trip.try ur local contacts.
3) yes it wud be foolish to go by air ,the NH1 to srinagar includung the jawahar tunnel is not be missed’
4)i suggest following itenary day 1)drive down to srinagar takes 12 hrs, try reaching b4 8pm.
day2/3/4 ) stay at a boathouse the local people/ houseboat owner will giude u .
day5/6 stay at a nearby lodge in nehru park area visit gulmarg n saffron gardens’
day7) drive down to patni top for a overnight stay unwind with the sheer majestic trees
day8) drive to katra ,walk up to vaishnow devi, evenings r better as day is too hot,TIP-DO NOT LINGER ON TOP TO CATCH UR BREATH,just walk down immedtly and relax in your room’
re room bookings try to do it at jktdc cottages etc ,they r ok n easy on d wallet the patni top cottages were simply superb we stayed at at boathouse called ZIGMALAY . and had a lovely time.
throuhout the only jarring note for our 10 day holiday was the abbysymal hygiene at the roadside dhabas. u will need delhi winter clothing during nights
- Posts: 6
- Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:00 am